[Answer ID: 14144]
Logging in to restricted shares on TeraStation using Windows XP
Windows XP has a limitation where it can only log into a file server using one username and password. If there are existing unrestricted shares mapped to the Terastation, Windows views those as being logged in under a guest username and password.
To get around this:
- Disconnect the mapped drives and reboot the computer to clear any cached username/passwords.
- Navigate to "Start"->"Run"-><Terastation>, replacing <Terastation> with the Network Name or IP address of the Terastation. This should bring up a list of the shares on the unit.
- Right-click on the share with access restrictions and choose Map Network Drive.
- On the Drive Mapping window, click on "Connect using a different username".
- Enter the username as <Terastationusername> (<Terastationusername> being the IP address or network name, whichever was entered before) and enter the password.
- Click "OK", choose the drive letter and then click "Connect".
This will connect using the users on the Terastation instead of the local users on the computer.